So, it appears that the problem I was experiencing was due to x86 vs 64bit. I changed the compiler settings to reference Win32 for linker and everything magically worked.
I also added a reference under the Linker Settings/Link libraries to the OpenCL.lib although I doubt that made the difference.
I ran a basic OpenCL device finder (https://www.sharcnet.ca/help/index.php/OpenCL) and it returned the info on my NVidia Quadro FX 570.
I will now begin to run various algorithms starting with some basic vector calculus (http://www.thebigblob.com/getting-started-with-opencl-and-gpu-computing/).
That is all for now.